Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Writing Wednesday

Last Wednesday I wrote about the daughter "seeing" everything and the mom, as an adult, not "seeing" everything. Right after I finished, I thought, 'But... What if it's the mom that sees everything and the daughter is skipping around NOT seeing everything around her?' Hmmm.
Like always this is a draft of an idea. enjoy! Please feel free to critique it!

Existence II by CraftyTeresa

As I walked to the school to pick up my daughter I breathed in the fresh Spring air. I relished every lungfull and exhaled slowly. I looked up at the beautiful Robin's Egg blue sky, it was a wonderful Spring day. Just a few shy clouds around the edges of the sky trying to make pictures. I could hear the birds singing a jubilant song. The birds seemed even happier than I was about Spring's arrival. I looked down to see shoots of Spring flowers coming up from the ground. And Hey! I just saw my first Robin of Spring! I looked around at the houses I passed, the old bird's nest in the trees, the dogs in their yards. So many details! So many vibrant colors! Suddenly, I found myself at the school.
"Okay! Time to go home!", I said.
"I want to go to the PARK!", she countered.
"Well...", I hemmed and hawed a bit.
"I want to go to the Park today! Um, Please?", Ah, she remembered the magic word!
"Oh, alright...", I had brought a book with me, so it might be nice to go to the park.
As we walked to the park I kept looking at all the wonders of nature waking up from a deep sleep. The leaves, the grass, the bark on the trees. The yards of the neighbors.
'I wonder if we could make our flower garden look like that this year?', I wondered to myself.
The sun was warm on our heads and shoulders, Spring felt good!
The smell of warming dirt and rain washed air was invigorating!
I tried to point out the wonders of nature to my daughter.
"Look at how pretty that little purple flower is!", I said.
"Yeah, yeah, I know! Hurry! Walk faster! We need to get to the Park!", she said and then ran ahead of me.
My thoughts started running as we approached our little neighborhood park, 'Can't she see all the beauty of the world around her? There's so much to see and hear and feel and smell! Is her youth making her run as fast as she can making the world a blur of color? Is it only because I'm older that I've slowed down that I've been able to actually see the world?'
My daughter started playing on the play equipment with screams of delight and multiple yells of "Look at me!"
I sat down on the park bench and took one last look at the wonderful sights and smells and sounds of the world around me and then opened my book to read.
The world disappeared...

No comments: