Friday, March 21, 2008

Photography Friday

Okay. I was asked to make a wedding cake. I haven't made one since... the 90's... and that was BEFORE I got all my Wilton stuff. This is her second wedding. Her husband died before we moved here, so I never knew him. She is a very independent and energetic 70 year old, who can be taken for a woman in her middle to late 50s. She can definitely out walk me!
Her fiancee' loves chocolate cake, so the cake is mostly chocolate. :)
Since it's Easter Weekend she wanted an Easter themed Wedding Cake.

Here's a small step by step:
Bottom layer is Chocolate, with chocolate frosting in the middle.
Middle layer is Yellow, with chocolate frosting in the middle.
Top layer is Chocolate. Did I mention that I used Hot Chocolate as the water?
And Vanilla Hot Chocolate for the water in the Yellow mix.

At this point, Thursday afternoon, I was hitting my creativity wall. Things come easily to me, and suddenly the frosting wasn't smooth, the cake looked like it was TOO BIG of a project and I was scared and frustrated. Ross and my friend said over the phone that it looked just fine... what? So, I cried a bit and got over that wall and my mind figured out how to fix it.

This was my solution: cello wrap! Isn't it pretty and springy? Plus, the cello wrap would protect the ribbons that I thought of putting around the cake too...

Here's the ribbons. I wanted to make sure you could see the pretty green swirly cello wrap under the ribbons. The green grass really matched the cello wrap and filled out the cake.
Aren't the bunnies cute? I wanted to make sure the new couple would have a little something to keep from their cake to remember their day.
Cakes are like balloons and flowers... they just don't last! Ethereal!

Here's the final product with the material around the bottom. So pretty!

What do you think? An Easter Wedding Cake! I think she will love it as much as I do!

No comments: