Monday, February 18, 2008

Miscellaneous Memory Monday

As the oldest child of four, (I have 3 younger brothers) I often remember being the first to do something. Except blowing bubbles in gum and whistling, I had to work hard on those to catch up to my brothers.
From my perspective today I've thought of something interesting:

I was the first to take piano lessons and play clarinet and be in band at school. It was "my thing". I played clarinet from Jr. High through college until my carpal tunnel got bad.
I can still plunk out a tune on the piano... but, man! I'm rusty!
Plus, I spent hours and hours forcing my brothers to "play school" during the summer and I was their teacher!
And now my youngest brother is a Band Teacher in a High School in Idaho.

I ALWAYS got A's in Psychology. I've always loved studying how the mind works, personality tests, etc. Even talking with my brother on the phone about what I should study in school (someday!) he reminded me that I always loved Psychology!
What is this brother doing? He's going to school to be a Psychologist/Therapist.

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS loved reading books. I remember searching for books on Eygpt in 4th grade. I remember wearing my dad's army jacket in Jr. High and getting teased about being "Hot Lips" Hoolihan. Why did I wear that jacket? Because it could hold two paperback books at the same time. From Jr. High through High School I always was reading two books at the same time. I remember being proud that I read at a college level all through High School.
Even on the night before my wedding I went to a used book store with my mother-in-law and husband to be.
What does my middle brother do? He SO out-reads me and not with just any books... he reads the classics! He is SO SMART. My husband and I really enjoy talking with him.
He's read all the classic books that I've always wanted to read but, this sci-fi/fantasy book over here looks like more fun...! :)

I'm not really jealous... the more I've thought about it, the more I would like to think that perhaps I helped my brothers? Maybe I started doing or liking something that helped them get toward where they've ended up? Could it be that I was any sort of good example for them?No matter what, I'm happy for them.
Growing up, I was like a little mother to my brothers. I wish we could be better friends now.
And I can see that we each DO have something in common.

No comments: