Friday, August 21, 2009

More writing lessons.

More lessons from the book What If:
Consider what has happened to your character before the first sentence happens.
Think about the history of your characters and story and how they affect those people.
That's easy for me.
Next lesson:
Write two sentences to start your book.
Now write sentence pairs for opposite subjects.
Birth sentence pairs, Death sentence pairs, etc.
That was fun.
Now write two sentence pairs for subjects that AREN'T complete opposites, like for spring and summer.
That was fun too.

I'm finding that I'm GREAT at ideas and some details, but getting lots and lots of words on a page is hard. duh, right? I have TONS of ideas for books... but, getting right down to writing lots of words to describe that idea in more detail.... hmmm, maybe that's why poetry is so easy for me?
Well, that's why I'm practicing my writing skills!
(Hey, if ANYONE reads this blog, please leave me a little comment.)

1 comment:

jennebeker said...

Hey - I read your blog. Just today I found a free online course for teaching novel writing to kids that had great activities for getting your words on paper. You can find it here:

http://www.littleblueschool.com/2009/08/how-to-teach-child-to-write-novel.html

Good luck with everything. I've been a writer before (mostly poetry) but haven't done much lately. Parenting littles takes a lot of my creative energy.

Jennifer
jennebeker.wordpress.com